Oliver House Museum
L. Caroline Underwood Museum
Scherer Carriage House
Heritage Books & Gifts

Events Calendar
Exhibits | Collections
Genealogy & Historic Research
Article Archive
About Us
Visitor Information
Links | Site Map

Who We Are


Standing proudly on Main Street in Penn Yan is the anchor building of the Yates County History Center, the Oliver House Museum, one of three buildings comprising the YCHC. The Center, formerly Yates County Genealogical & Historical Society, is one of the oldest in NYS, has been actively collecting, preserving and interpreting history since 1860. Its collections of over 50,000 artifacts date from the mid 1700’s and include magnificent costumes, an impressive 5,000 photographic images, and the foremost collection of Jemima Wilkinson artifacts in the United States.

The Oliver House Museum has been the home of the Yates County History Center since 1948. The last remaining Oliver was Carrie, who died in 1942 leaving the house, and its contents, to the Village of Penn Yan for perpetual use as a museum, operated by the History Center.

At 107 Chapel Street, across the parking lot, is the Underwood Museum, owned by the L. Caroline Underwood Trust. The Yates County History Center operates the museum, maintaining Miss Underwood’s collections with two rooms of permanent display and the Gracey Gallery of changing exhibits. The Spencer Research Center is also housed there.

The Scherer Carriage House behind the Underwood Museum is the permanent home of the premier exhibit, “Jemima Wilkinson, The Publick Universal Friend.”

The History Center staff and volunteers interpret history through programs, lectures, reenactments and tours. They aid researchers from around the world to find their family histories. The Yates County History Center is a 501c3 non-profit organization which relies on memberships and donations to continue to fulfill its mission of collecting, preserving and interpreting the history of Yates County. Please consider becoming a member and investing in the future success of the Yates County History Center.


Tricia Noel
Executive Director/Curator

Bill Murray
Assistant Curator

Lisa Harper
Administrative Assistant

Jan Hafner

Board of Trustees 2019

Sallie Jensen, President
Mike Leavy, Vice President
Richard MacAlpine, Secretary
Murray Hestley, Treasurer
Phil Bailey
Andy Baus
Paul Bullock
James Crevelling
Lyn Fitch
Win Harper
Steve Heller
Patty Larzelere
Merrill Race
Rich Stewart
James Stork
James Wachob

Yates County History Center
107 Chapel Street, Penn Yan, NY 14527
Phone 315.536.7318 | Fax 315.536.0976
Email YCHC | Email Webmaster
Saturday, June 22, 2019 | Copyright © 2019