Oliver House Museum
L. Caroline Underwood Museum
Scherer Carriage House
Heritage Books & Gifts

Events Calendar
Exhibits | Collections
Genealogy & Historic Research
Article Archive
Visitor Information
Membership
Site Map
Links
 

The Lyons National Bank

"It's all about people, Lyons National Bank and you." This is the tag line of The Lyons National Bank from President Robert A. Schick and his entire staff. Ultimate customer service is their number one priority.

Lyons Bank came into being in 1852. Dewitt Parshall, a lawyer and land baron, chartered a private banking house on Canal Street in Lyons, NY. He called it the Palmyra Bank of Lyons. Parshall changed the bank's name to The Lyons Bank in 1857 and built a new building on Canal and William Streets. The bank obtained a national charter in 1864, and "National" was added to its name. Parshall died in 1881 and Dr. Dwight S. Chamberlain and his son-in-law took over until 1903. Lyons National Bank had a rival in Lyons, NY from 1860 until 1833 - The Gavitt National Bank. In March 1933, during the Great Depression, all banks in the county were closed by President Franklin D. Roosevelt. When required licenses were obtained to re-open, Saxon B. Gavitt, President of The Gavitt National Bank and Dr. Fletcher Towlerton, President of The Lyons National Bank proposed a merger of their two banks. Bank depositors accepted their merger proposal. The new bank, which opened on July 6, 1933, continued operating under the old Lyons National Bank charter. Towlerton served as president; he was succeeded by Saxon B. Gavitt II; then successors William S. Gavitt, Jr., John J. Werner, Jr., and current president Robert A. Schick.

The Penn Yan branch of The Lyons National Bank is the tenth branch. It opened on May 5, 2004 on East Elm Street in Penn Yan while awaiting the new building on Liberty Street. The staff moved into the new Liberty Street offices on January 29, 2005. The Penn Yan branch employs eleven people. The Vice President Branch Manager is Susan K. Andersen. Sue has been in banking for eighteen years. She graduated from Finger Lakes Community College and is a lifelong resident of Penn Yan. She is currently president of PY Rotary Club. Sue and her husband, David, own a dairy farm. They are the parents of four daughters. The assistant Branch Manager/Banking Officer is Susan L. Snyder. Sue lives in Penn Yan with her husband Roger, who is the body manager at Tones Garage. Sue graduated from Finger Lakes Community College and has been in banking for twenty-three years. Sue serves on the YCGHS Board of Trustees and is currently involved in "Dollars for Scholars." The Senior Branch Teller for the Penn Yan branch is Michele Swarthout.

The "Sues," Michele and the entire Penn Yan staff always greet the customers with a smile and "What can we help you with today?" The Penn Yan branch also has a spacious community room, which is open to the public for scheduled gatherings.


Yates County History Center
107 Chapel Street, Penn Yan, NY 14527
Phone 315.536.7318 | Fax 315.536.0976
Email YCHC | Email Webmaster
Wednesday, August 15, 2018 | Copyright © 2018