Oliver House Museum
L. Caroline Underwood Museum
Scherer Carriage House
Heritage Books & Gifts

Events Calendar
Exhibits | Collections
Genealogy & Historic Research
Article Archive
About Us
Visitor Information
Links | Site Map

Marble's Automotive, Inc.

Paul Marble has been a well-known automotive name in the Penn Yan area for over forty-seven years - a business started by Paul Marble, Sr. and continued by his son Paul.

After leaving the military and WWII in 1945, Paul started on his career working in a body shop in Geneva, NY. From 1945 to 1953, Paul worked for Ed "Doc" Scherer in the Ford Garage in Penn Yan. His next job was with the senior Martin Tones. In April of 1959, after being married to Ginny for four years, Paul took a big step and opened Marble's Automotive on Route 14A.

Son Paul started working in his dad's business in 1971 while he was still attending Penn Yan Academy. After Paul's graduation in 1974 he sold cars for a year until he became a partner with his father in February of 1975. At that point in time, the business was still only a body shop. In 1978, a new building was erected for a glass shop. Over the years, more buildings were added. Mechanics were hired in 1979.

Paul Jr. took over as sole proprietor in 1984, although Paul Sr. worked until 2003.

The first assistant was hired in 1962. Marble's Automotive now has a staff of twenty-three. Bill Roberts has the honor of being employed by Marble's for 24 years.

In 1992, the house where Paul, Jr. was raised, adjacent to the business, was moved to Chubb Hollow Road. It was moved to site where there will seldom be cars - a Mennonite home. It was a long, but interesting process. The 70 ton house, on a trailer, was transported down Liberty Street, through Milo Center to the Chubb Hollow Road location.

Paul and his wife Julie are hoping that one of their children, Cameron Paul or Leighann Louise, will join the business after a few years.

Yates County History Center
107 Chapel Street, Penn Yan, NY 14527
Phone 315.536.7318 | Fax 315.536.0976
Email YCHC | Email Webmaster
Monday, June 10, 2019 | Copyright © 2019